The Champaign County Audubon Society (CCAS) began as a bird watching club in 1940. We became a chapter of the National Audubon Society in 1945.
Today we have over 500 members! Our members are part of a thriving local group that is actively involved in the study, enjoyment, and conservation of native ecosystems.
We welcome your membership and invite your active participation!
Join Birdnotes to get the latest local bird sightings.
Please contact list manager Pam Leiter with any questions.
Promote interest, enjoyment and understanding
about all aspects of our natural environment.
Actively encourage the protection of wildlife
and the preservation and restoration of native habitat.
- Habitats & Monitoring: CCAS ‘adopts’ natural areas to support conservation efforts. These include: Meadowbrook Park in Urbana (adopted 1978), and the proposed CSX rail line trail (adopted 2008).
- Dr. S. Charles Kendeigh Memorial Fund: An ornithologist of international stature, Dr. Kendeigh was one of our founding members. CCAS provides grants for bird-related research in his name. The RFP is posted each February, and is due in March.
- Audubon Adventures: These educational kits for elementary classrooms are offered each fall. The materials are developed by the National Audubon Society.
- Mini-grants: Mini-grants are available each year to educators in Champaign County.
Our members play an important role by volunteering to help with these committees:
- Field Trip: Organizes field trips to exceptional birding locations.
- Education and Program Committees: Plan programs for all ages and support educational efforts.
- Conservation: Monitors legislative and administrative actions that affect the environment.
- Newsletter and Publicity Committees: Handle the newsletter and other publicity.
- Membership, Finance, and Hospitality Committees: Handle all those little, but essential, details.
President: Colin Dobson
Vice President: Roger Digges
Secretary: Jennifer Wick
Treasurer: John Dunkelberger (interim)
Bylaws: Roger Digges
Communications: Sara Johnson
Conservation: Jeff Peyton
Education: Tyler Owens
Field Trip: Beth Chato
Finance: Janet Jokela (interim)
Membership: Sara Johnson
Program: Alida deFlamingh
Members at Large 2020 & 2021
Jeff Peyton (Conservation Committee Chair)
Zak Sutton (Education Committee Member)
Megan Skrip (Communications Committee Member)
Members at Large 2021 & 2022
Webmaster and BirdNotes Listserve Manager: Jeff Bryant